Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review: Naked Skin Foundation


About a month ago I picked up Urban Decay's Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup and I'm finally reviewing it! I wanted to make sure I used it enough so that I could explain exactly what I did and didn't like about this product. Keep reading for the whole review!

Urban Decay has 18 shades of this foundation, ranging from the lightest, 0.5 a very fair porcelain, to 12.0, a dark deep golden shade. Just about every skin tone can find a match here. 12 of the 18 shades end in zero, the other 6 end in a five.  On Urban Decay's website, you have the option to find your foundation shade. All of the foundation numbers ending in a zero (1.0) are for those who have warm/yellow undertones to their skin. All of the shades ending in a five (0.5) match those who have cool/pink undertones in their skin. To learn how to find your skin's undertone, click here. (Coming Soon)


Urban Decay claims this product is oil free, paraben free, and fragrance free. These are all good things, which means that this foundation is less irritating to the skin.
They also claim that this foundation produces a buildable coverage, demi-matte finish that is supposed to look blurred and soft.

This foundation retails for $38 at UrbanDecay.com, and other retailers like Ulta and Sephora. Now, even though it may seem like there's tons and tons of product in the container, keep in mind that it's only 1 oz. (30ml). That's not a lot of product for quite a bit of money.

This foundation doesn't have an SPF in it, which can be good and bad. On the up side, your face won't get that dreaded "white cast" in photos where your face looks more pale than your neck and chest. If you're worried about your sun protection, make sure you're wearing an SPF under your makeup, such as in a moisturizer. (Find out more about SPF here)
 




My shade is 2.0 (Fair with a slight yellow undertone). I chose this foundation shade specifically even though I do have more of a cool complexion. I have a lot of redness in my skin and tend to choose a more yellow-based foundation to balance out the redness and camouflage it. On clients with fair skin, I tend to always reach for a yellow based foundation because for the most part, everyone has some yellow undertones in their skin. With fair tones especially, you have to be extremely careful with foundation because anything too pink will look "masky" in natural light.





Packaging
Urban Decay always has great packaging with all of their products. They all look very chic and I really like that they have the matching fonts and texts from the naked eyeshadow palettes. This foundation also has a pump, which is more hygienic than a whipped or cream foundation (also great for MUA's!)
Rating: 5/5

Price
The first thing I noticed about this foundation when I saw it at the store was how big it looked. I can't deny that it looks WAY bigger than 1 oz, so I didn't really think about the price... it seemed pretty reasonable for the amount that appeared to be in the container. However, after about a week or two of using this foundation, I noticed it was already 1/4 of the way gone. I definitely think it's over-priced for the amount of product that it comes with.
Rating: 2/5

Coverage
Urban Decay claimed that this product was a buildable coverage foundation, which I completely agree with, although I'm kind of disappointed. I had such high hopes for this foundation. I have lots of post inflammatory hyper-pigmented areas around my chin and mild redness in my cheek area. For me, this foundation wasn't enough coverage. I would typically have to use 3 pumps of this to get enough product to cover my entire face, the hyper-pigmentation, and the redness, and it would begin to look a bit cakey, even before applying powder. Anyone with a near perfect complexion who just needs to even out tone, this will be perfect for you!
Rating: 3/5

Application
The consistency of this foundation feels super sheer (and it is), but it really does feel weightless on the skin just like it claims. Very easily blended and just seems to melt into the skin! Didn't dry me out or make me too oily - definitely a plus!
Rating: 5/5

Longevity
Not even a couple hours into the day and I can already feel this foundation wearing off and my skin peeking through. But if you don't have much to cover, this foundation
Rating: 3/5



If you have great skin with only minor issues, this could be a great foundation for you. I may go back and give this another go when my skin starts looking better, but for now, it's just not enough coverage for me, and costs too much for the amount that I have to use on my face.



Thanks for reading!
Any questions? Please comment!




3 comments:

  1. I really want to try out this foundation considering that it is sheer.. Now, I just need to find the right shade. Awesome review :)

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Vicky! Yes, if you are interested in finding a good sheer/buildable coverage foundation, this is a great one!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...